Go section 8 ventura county

Go section 8 ventura county DEFAULT



Please click here to request to be added to the City’s Affordable Housing Interested Parties List. Your name will be on the list for two years. After two years, your name will be removed. If you wish to remain on the list, please contact Community Development Department at (805)388-5360.

If the City takes ownership of an affordable residential unit and is seeking a buyer, the list will be utilized to contact interested individuals in the order of the list. Affordable units are located throughout the city in the following developments: Cedarbrook Walk, Mission Walk, Wickford Place, Mulberry Place, Courtyards at Camarillo Springs, Tesoro Walk, Springville, Teso Robles, and ParkWest.

Homeowners of affordable units are not required to utilize the City’s Affordable Housing Interested Parties List when selling their home. However, it will be provided to them as a resource.

Habitat Home Repair Program is offered by Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County to promote independence for low-income homeowners by addressing critical health and safety needs within their homes. Since 2011 this program has helped 160 individuals and families, including many seniors, veterans and people with disabilities stay safe and secure in their own home. For more information, please visit www.habitatventura.org/homerepairs/.

Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8), Low Rent Public Housing Program, and Agency Owned/Managed Housing Program are administered by the Area Housing Authority of the County of Ventura. The federally funded, non-profit, public agency serves the cities of Camarillo, Fillmore, Moorpark, Ojai, Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, and the unincorporated areas of the county. For more information, please visit www.ahacv.org/housing_programs.shtml.  

Home Buyer’s Workshops are offered by the Area Housing Authority to provide information on tax benefits, raising FICO score, and loan options for first-time buyers available through the state of California. For more information, please visit www.ahacv.org/home_buyers_workshops.shtml.

Down payment assistance and lending, financial coaching, and home buyer education are offered by Ventura County Community Development Corporation (VCCDC) to assist low- to moderate-income families in buying affordable homes in Ventura County. For more information, please visit www.vccdc.org.


HomeShare Program is administered by the Ventura County Area Agency on Aging, that matches people looking for housing with people that have extra space and are looking for a roommate. This is an alternative way of meeting housing needs that benefits renters and homeowners alike. Some reasons people share include: companionship, help with chores and light housekeeping, or financial assistance with taxes, utilities, and maintenance. For more information, please visit www.vcaaa.org/our-services/housing/.



Camarillo is a part of the Ventura County Fair Housing Consortium, which contracts with the Housing Rights Center (HRC). HRC is the nation's largest non-profit civil rights organization dedicated to securing and promoting Fair Housing. HRC was founded in 1968, the same year that Congress passed the Fair Housing Act (FHA). HRC mission is to actively support and promote freedom of residence through education, advocacy, and litigation, to the end that all persons have the opportunity to secure the housing they desire and can afford, without regard to their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, familial status, marital status, disability, ancestry, age, source of income or other characteristics protected by law.​ Free services include: landlord tenant counseling, outreach and education, and discrimination investigation. 

PLEASE NOTE: HRC is closed to the public during the COVID-19 emergency, but still operating their Landlord/Tenant Hotline to handle the fair housing calls during COVID-19 orders and safety guidelines. Please leave a message and the HRC will call back within 24-48 hours.  The hotline number is 1-800-477-5977.  Complaints may also be sent by email to: [email protected].

Sours: https://www.cityofcamarillo.org/index.php

How to find and apply for affordable housing programs, such as Section 8

More than 17 million people live in rental housing in California, and more than half of them are rent burdened, meaning they pay more than 30% of their income for housing. For people who are also low-income, affordable housing programs might be available to provide relief.

But demand is high.

“There’s always more demand than there are housing units, and it still is the case,” said Linda Jenkins, acting director of the Los Angeles County Development Authority.

And the cost of housing was on the rise well before the COVID-19 pandemicclobbered the state’s economy.

“We needed a lot of affordable housing before COVID, and we’re probably going to need a lot more after COVID,” Linda Mandolini, president of the Bay Area nonprofit Eden Housing, said.

To get assistance paying the rent, you’ll have to navigate applications, requirements and wait lists, in addition to the limited supply. Here’s what you need to know.

What are the programs, and who qualifies?

In most cases, programs are administered through city or county housing agencies using federal funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, or HUD. The types of programs vary. Some, like Section 8, pay money directly to landlords to offset the cost of your rental. Others, like public housing, are subsidized by the government to keep your rent low.

How do you know if you qualify? In many cases, it depends on whether your household makes less than the median income where you live. HUD set L.A. County’s median household income as $77,300 for 2020. In Orange County it is $103,000; $97,800 for Ventura County; $75,300 for San Bernardino County. If you make 30% to 80% less than the median in your area, you may qualify for housing assistance.

What is the process?

Step 1 is relatively simple: Determine where you want to live. You’ll have to work with the housing agency in that area.

And that’s Step 2: Contact the housing authority for the area. If it’s within the city of Los Angeles, use the city’s Housing Authority’s website to begin the application process. The agency requires you to either apply in person (check the website or call for the latest procedures related to COVID-19), or download the application and mail it in. (If you don’t have a printer or access to the internet, check a local library.) The application center is near MacArthur Park (2600 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, 90057). The phone number is (213) 252-1020.

For other cities in Los Angeles County, check city websites, or HUD’s Resource Locator, to find the local housing authority. You can also check Los Angeles County Housing to see what is available by typing in the ZIP Code or city of your choice. Once you click on the location, you are provided a contact number.

Orange and Ventura counties have housing authorities that cover the whole county.

An interview or briefing may be required before you are approved. You’ll be asked for documents that prove your identity and income. The Los Angeles housing authority requires the following documents, though other agencies may have different requirements:

  • Driver’s license
  • Birth certificates
  • Social Security cards
  • Any immigration or naturalization documents
  • Copies of pay stubs
  • W-2 tax documents
  • Bank records
  • Medical receipts

From there, the housing authority will provide the information specific to your situation.

But you’ll want to do some searching of your own for a rental unit.

Web tools

These websites can save you time. Before you contact your local housing authority, you can search these sites to see if there is available housing in your desired area.

Section 8

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher is a federal program that can cover part of your rent.

To begin the application process, you must reach out to your local housing authority (see above).

Once you know where you want to live, you can use the HUD application to calculate your household income compared with the average income in the selected area. You must meet the income requirements to receive a Section 8 voucher.

HUD publishes a list of properties that have worked with Section 8 vouchers. A property may not be on the HUD list, but could still accept a Section 8 voucher. In California it is illegal to discriminate against Section 8 voucher holders.

After coordinating with the housing authority to fill out the Section 8 application, you go on a waitlist. You can check waitlist times online.

Once you are in the program, you will have a briefing with the local housing authority. These briefings are required before you can receive a Section 8 voucher. The voucher is proof that you have been approved for the program by the housing authority.

Once you have your voucher, you have a minimum of 60 days to find a rental. Some housing authorities will allow more time.

Keep in mind, the voucher cannot be applied toward your security deposit. The money you receive through the program is sent directly to the landlord every month.

Public housing

Public housing was created to provide affordable housing for low-income families, individuals, elderly people and people with disabilities. HUD provides federal aid to housing agencies that manage the properties.

According to HUD, a housing agency determines your eligibility on three factors:

  1. Annual household income.
  2. Age and/or disability.
  3. Citizenship or eligible immigration status.

If you make 50% to 80% less than the median income of your area, you may qualify for public housing. You should fill out a written application with your local housing agency.

The Los Angeles Housing Authority has multiple public housing sites:

Central Los Angeles

  • Avalon Gardens
  • Pueblo Del Rio


  • Gonzaque Village
  • Nickerson Gardens
  • Imperial Courts
  • Jordan Downs


East Los Angeles

  • Estrada Courts
  • Rose Hill Courts
  • Pico Gardens
  • William Mead
  • Ramona Gardens

San Fernando Valley

West L.A.

Section 202 housing for the elderly

Section 202 is a program for low-income people older than 62, or elderly people who are too weak to work.

HUD works with nonprofits and co-ops to provide this type of housing. Eligibility for this program extends to low-income households that have at least one person who is at least 62 years old at the time of initial occupancy, according to the HUD website.

Tenants living in a Section 202 building will have to pay a rate based on the operating costs of the facility, according to the National Housing Law Project. However, newer buildings give tenants rental assistance, in which tenants pay 30% of their income.

To apply, visit a housing authority website and see if they list Section 202 openings. If they do not, you can call the housing authority or use one of the web tools above.

Section 811 housing for a person with disabilities

Section 811 provides housing for low-income adults with disabilities. Families that include an adult with a disability can also qualify. HUD lists eligibility “as a physical or developmental disability or chronic mental illness,” on its website.

Much like Section 202, tenants living in an older property pay a budget-based rent, while newer ones have tenants pay 30% of their annual income. And just like Section 202, applications must be submitted through the area’s housing authority.

Each Section 811 property has its own preferences. If you match one of their preferences, then you can be placed higher on the waitlist. These preferences can include being elderly or a military veteran.

Sours: https://www.latimes.com/homeless-housing/story/2020-11-11/section-8-and-other-affordable-housing-options
  1. Nessy photos
  2. Disney cars bicycle
  3. Tek weapons

Fair Housing

Fair Housing is a Right!

What is "Fair Housing"? Fair housing is a right protected by federal and state laws. Each resident is entitled to equal access to housing opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, familial status, marital status, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, source of income, or any other arbitrary reason.

Signs of housing discrimination include:
  • The rent or deposit quoted is higher than advertised
  • The manager says the unit is rented but the ad or sign is still posted
  • The manager says "You probably won't like it here," "We've rented out the family units," or "There is no place for your children to play"
  • A real estate agent keeps "steering" you to look for houses in neighborhoods different than the ones you desire and think you can afford
  • The manager denies your request to make minor modifications to your unit to accommodate your disability.

Test Your Fair Housing Knowledge

Take the Fair Housing Test (WMV)to see if you know what "Fair Housing" really is.

Fair Housing Services

Do you have a fair housing question or concern?

Housing Rights Center (HRC)

Housing Rights Centeris a private, non-profit organization that is contracted with the City of Ventura and other cities across Ventura County to provide Fair Housing Services. HRC's mission is to actively support and promote fair housing through education, advocacy, and litigation to the end that all persons have the opportunity to secure the housing they desire and can afford, without regard to personal characteristics protected by law. Services include free landlord/ tenant counseling, housing discrimination investigation, education on fair housing laws, as well as predatory lending information and referrals. For assistance with the housing discrimination concerns in the City of Ventura,  call 800-477-5977.

HUD Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO)

The mission of the Office of FHEOis to create equal housing opportunities for all persons living in America by administering laws that prohibit discrimination in housing on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and familial status.

Affordable Housing Programs

The City of Ventura provides funding for various programs related to affordable housing, including a rental and ownership affordable housing program, housing preservation loans, mobile home rehabilitation grants, and fair housing services. The Housing Authority of the City of San Buenaventura, an agency separate from the City of Ventura, administers all of the city's affordable housing programs.

For information regarding the city's Affordable Housing programs, please visit the Housing Authority's website, or contact them directly at:
Housing Authority of the City of San Buenaventura
995 Riverside Street
Ventura, CA 93001
Phone: 805-648-5008
Sours: https://www.cityofventura.ca.gov/2047/Fair-Housing

For the latest updates on COVID-19 visit the City Resources page

For Developers and Housing Purveyors

The City's Affordable and Senior Housing Program provides quality housing for seniors and low- to very-low income households. The City works with developers to provide of such housing through negotiation to incorporate affordable for-sale, rental, and/or age-restricted units within new residential developments. If you are interested in developing affordable and/or senior affordable units, please contact the Planning Division at (805) 583-6769 or e-mail Housing staff.   Developers or property owners interested in developing affordable units are encouraged to contact the Housing Section for guidance prior to submitting an application.

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program

The Area Housing Authority of the County of Ventura (AHACV) administers the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program on behalf of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Section 8 requires a low-income renter to pay up to 40% of their gross monthly income towards rent and picks up the balance on the renter’s behalf, up to published payment standards. Applications for this program are accepted by invitation only. Further questions about Section 8 should be directed to the AHACV at (805) 480-9991, or TDD at (805) 480-9119. Interested persons can also sign up to subscribe to AHACV e-mail notifications when Section 8 is open for applications from the AHACV.

Affordable and Senior Affordable Apartments

The City has Affordable Housing Agreements with 25 existing rental apartment communities, providing 1,062 units that are affordable to low- and very low-income households and seniors. Listings for these affordable communities can be found in the City’s Affordable & Senior Housing Guide. Each community maintains their own waiting list. To apply, you must contact each community's management and request to be added to their waiting list. For more information, please call the Housing Information Line at (805) 583-6779 or e-mail Housing staff.

Affordable and Senior For-Sale Housing

The City has approximately 200 condominium and townhome units as part of its affordable housing program. Of these units, 35 units are age restricted to citizens 55 years old or older. Occasionally, a privately owned affordable and/or senior home may become available for sale. Such units can be resold to a qualified buyer. If you are interested and would like to be added to the Home Buyer's Interest List, please call the Housing Information Line at (805) 583-6779 or e-mail Housing staff.

For the existing program participants, if you are interested in refinancing or selling your affordable unit, please call the Housing Information Line at (805) 583-6779 or e-mail Housing staff regarding ownership loan refinancing and subordination.

Homebuyer Assistance Resources

Links to homebuyer assistance outside of the City are listed below:   

Affordable Housing Database (Assembly Bills 987 and 1793)

In accordance with State of California Law, Assembly Bills 987 and 1793, the City must, as successor agency to the former Redevelopment Agency, compile and maintain a database of affordable rental or owner-occupied housing units developed or assisted with the agency’s Low- and Moderate-Income Housing Fund. The database must provide specific information on existing, new, and substantially rehabilitated rental or owner-occupied housing units developed or assisted with moneys from the agency’s Low- and Moderate-Income Housing Fund. Please be aware that most of the listed units are occupied. As a courtesy to those living in these units, please do not contact them. For more information, please call the Housing Information Line at (805) 583-6779 or e-mail Housing staff.


Sours: https://www.simivalley.org/departments/environmental-services/housing-section-planning-division/affordable-and-senior-housing-program

Section county go 8 ventura

Affordable Housing In Ventura County

133 Low Income Apartment Communities In Ventura County

Section 8 Vouchers, Apartments, and Waiting Lists in Ventura County, California

Public Housing Agencies operate federally assisted affordable housing programs at local levels on behalf of HUD. Notably, housing agencies are responsible for managing Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, Public Housing, and Project-Based Voucher waiting lists within their jurisdiction.

Households who qualify for these programs may also qualify for Project-Based Section 8, which contributes rental assistance payments directly to private landlords on behalf of low-income tenants. Eligibility for the project-based program is similar to the voucher programs, but waiting list and application policies will vary depending on the landlord.

Public Housing Agencies Serving Ventura County, California

Guide To Affordable Housing in Ventura County, California

There are 133 low income housing apartment communities offering 8,560 affordable apartments for rent in Ventura County, California.

Income Based Apartments in Ventura County, California

Ventura County features 2,551 income based apartments. Tenants of income based apartments typically pay no more than 30% of their income towards rent and utilities.

Low Rent Apartments in Ventura County, California

There are 5,644 rent subsidized apartments that do not provide direct rental assistance but remain affordable to low income households in Ventura County.

Housing Choice Vouchers in Ventura County, California

On average, Section 8 Housing Choice vouchers pay Ventura County landlords $1,000 per month towards rent. The average voucher holder contributes $500 towards rent in Ventura County.

The maximum amount a voucher would pay on behalf of a low-income tenant in Ventura County, California for a two-bedroom apartment is between $1,996 and $2,440.

2022 Ventura County, California Fair Market Rents and Housing Choice Voucher Payment Standards

Fair Market Rents can be used to better understand the average housing costs of an area. Fair Market Rents are used by HUD to establish payment and rent standards for federal rental assistance programs like the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.

StudioOne BRTwo BRThree BRFour BR
Ventura County, California Fair Market Rent$1,507$1,792$2,218$3,101$3,655
Ventura County, California Payment Standard Range$1,356 to $1,658$1,613 to $1,971$1,996 to $2,440$2,791 to $3,411$3,290 to $4,021

Sourced from federal housing data and AffordableHousingOnline.com research.

Ventura County, CA Affordable Housing Snapshot
Total Affordable Apartment Properties133
Total Low Income Apartments8,560
Total Housing Units with Rental Assistance2,551
Percentage of Housing Units Occupied By Renters35.83%
Average Renter Household Size3.18
Average Household Size3.08
Median Household Income$77,348 ±$954
Median Rent$1,507 ±$19
Percentage Of Renters Overburdened56.36% ± 1.33pp
Total Population840,833
Population and Household Demographics

Ventura County is a county in California with a population of 840,833. There are 268,969 households in the county with an average household size of 3.08 persons. 35.83% of households in Ventura County are renters.

Income and Rent Overburden in Ventura County

The median gross income for households in Ventura County is $77,348 a year, or $6,446 a month. The median rent for the county is $1,507 a month.

Households who pay more than thirty percent of their gross income are considered to be Rent Overburdened. In Ventura County, a household making less than $5,023 a month would be considered overburdened when renting an apartment at or above the median rent. 56.36% of households who rent are overburdened in Ventura County.

Area Median Income In Ventura County

Affordable housing program eligibility is always determined by one's income. Each household's income is compared to the incomes of all other households in the area. This is accomplished through a statistic established by the government called the Area Median Income, most often referred to as AMI. The AMI is calculated and published each year by HUD.

In Ventura County, HUD calculates the Area Median Income for a family of four as $98,800

Most affordable housing programs determine eligibility based on the percent of AMI a given household's income is. Among the programs that determine eligibility based on the AMI are Section 8, HOME, LIHTC, Section 515, 202 and 811.

Rental Assistance in Ventura County

Rental assistance is a type of housing subsidy that pays for a portion of a renter’s monthly housing costs, including rent and tenant paid utilities. This housing assistance can come in the form of Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers, project-based Section 8 contracts, public housing, USDA Rental Assistance (in Section 515 properties) as well as HUD Section 202 and 811 properties for elderly and disabled households.

Income Qualifications for HUD Rental Assistance in Ventura County

1 Person2 Person3 Person4 Person5 Person6 Person7 Person8 Person
30% AMI Income Limits
Renters earning up to 30% of the Ventura County AMI may qualify for rental assistance programs that target Extremely Low Income households.
50% AMI Income Limits
Renters earning up to 50% of the Ventura County AMI may qualify for rental assistance programs that target Very Low Income households.
80% AMI Income Limits
Renters earning up to 80% of the Ventura County AMI may qualify for rental assistance programs that target Low Income households.
Sours: https://affordablehousingonline.com/housing-search/California/Ventura-County

Rental Assistance Programs

Area Housing Authority

Administers subsidized housing programs in the City of Thousand Oaks, such as Section 8 vouchers/certificates, public housing and the Tenant Based Rental Assistance Program. For more information, contact the Area Housing Authority of Ventura County at (805) 480-9991 or (800) 800-2123 or visit www.ahacv.org.

Many Mansions

Owns and manages affordable apartments within City limits and provides housing counseling and advice on tenant/landlord issues. For more information, contact Many Mansions at (805) 497-0344 or visit www.manymansions.org.


Rent Control

The City of Thousand Oaks only has a Rent Stabilization Program for a small number of apartments units and all mobile homes. Apartment rent control does not apply to any tenant who moved into their apartment unit after 1987. Only apartment tenants who have lived in the same eligible rent controlled unit since 1987 are eligible for rent control. More...

List of Affordable Rental Units in Thousand Oaks


Within the City Thousand Oaks there are senior and family affordable apartment complex. Restrictions vary from site to site to site and complex may have no vacancy at this time. Please contact apartment complex directly for rental opportunities. More…

For more housing information, call (805) 449-2393 or email [email protected]

Sours: https://www.toaks.org/departments/community-development/housing/affordable-housing-program/rental-assistance-programs

Now discussing:

Section 8

Section 8

The Section 8 tenant-based Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) assistance program is funded by the federal government and administered by the Housing Authority of the City of Oxnard (OHA) for the jurisdiction of the City of Oxnard in the County of Ventura, CA.

When a family is determined to be eligible for the program and funding is available, the OHA issues the family a housing voucher.  When the family finds a suitable housing unit, the OHA will enter into a contract with the owner and the family will enter into a lease with the owner. Each party makes their respective payment to the owner so that the owner receives full rent.

The voucher holder pays 30%-40% of their household income toward rent and the Housing Authority will pay the difference directly to the property owner each month.

Even though the family is determined to be eligible for the program, the owner has the responsibility of approving the family as a suitable renter. The OHA continues to make payments to the owner as long as the family is eligible and the housing unit continues to qualify under the program.

Oxnard Housing 1470


Sours: https://www.oxnard.org/city-department/housing/section-8/

413 414 415 416 417